Stewardship Resources for Clergy
- Ask, Thank, Tell, Augsburg Fortress, ISBN 0-8066-5263-2. ($11.99) This is a 2006 book that lays out a structure and understanding of stewardship based on a person’s relationship with God and life of discipleship rather than a church’s efforts to pay the bills.
- Giving to God, Eerdman’s Publishing (available at Augsburg Fortress) ISBN 0-8028-2926-0 ($13) This is a 2006 book that speaks of stewardship as an act of worship and discipline for spiritual growth.
- Biblical Stewardship: Our Duty and Delight – DVD with 7 sessions with Dr. Mark Allan Powell on stewardship with study guides.
- Our Stewardship: Managing our Assets, Augsburg Fortress ISBN 0-8066-4406-0 ($14.99) This is a book useful for congregational leaders and pastors for strategic planning, management, finance, stewardship or property teams to explore the gifts of a congregation and how to use them.
- New Consecration Sunday Stewardship Program Book, Abingdon Press ISBN 0-687-06315-9 ($8.75 – Augsburg Fortress) There is also a Leader’s Guide ($10.75) This has been one of the most widely used programs in the synod. We have a list of trained presenters on our synod web site.
- Giving and Stewardship in an Effective Church, Kennon Callahan, Jossey-Bass Publishers ISBN 0-7879-3867 ($17.95) This is a wonderful book for congregational stewardship committees and entire councils to read as well. It is a comprehensive and practical overview about stewardship and the mission of a congregation.
- Not Your Parents’ Offering Plate: A New Vision for Financial Stewardship by J Clif Christopher, Abingdon Press ISBN 978-0-687-64853-5 ($14). This is a great book discussing the practical and spiritual efforts to raise stewardship awareness and effectiveness in churches.
- Passing the Plate: Why American Christians Don’t Give Away More Money by Christian Smith and Michael Emerson, Oxford University Press ISBN 978-0-19-533711-2 ($24.95). An eye-opening account of why American churchgoers give so little money to charitable causes and how they might be helped to give more.
- Ministry and Money: A Practical Guide for Pastors by Janet and Philip Jamieson, Westminster John Knox Press ISBN 978-0-664-23198-9 ($13.35 through Amazon). A timely and straightforward discussion of modern-day church finances.
- ELCA website for stewardship: www.ELCA.org/stewardship
- Stories of Faith in Action: Annual publication of the ELCA explaining how God is changing lives through the mission and ministry of the ELCA, resources on mission support, budget information, and more. Order copies here.
- Luther Seminary’s web site – www.luthersem.edu/stewardship/
- Ecumenical Stewardship Center web site with resources and information about other denominational stewardship materials and annual conference, including some youth stewardship materials www.stewardshipresources.org
- Gettysburg Seminary in Pennsylvania web site dedicated to stewardship education; they also have a free e-newsletter available – www.stewardshipoflife.org
- ELCA stewardship-oriented sermon starters: find several at ELCA.org/Resources/Stewardship
Rev. Pete Reuss, Director for Evangelical Mission, can be reached at email@example.com, 507-280-9457, or 800-426-6376 in Minnesota.