- PDF version of this document (link)
We celebrated the 30th annual Southeastern Minnesota Synod Assembly on May 6-7, 2017 at the Mayo Civic Center in Rochester. Voting members from the 174 congregations across the synod came together for the two-day gathering. The event’s theme was “Equipping congregations to follow Jesus into a changing world.”
Saturday, May 6 highlights:
- The assembly began with worship led by Bishop Steven Delzer, Deacon Kris Oppegard, and Rev. Emily Carson.
- Rev. Gladys Moore shared the keynote presentation.
- Rev. Pete Reuss shared updates about Leading Together. The assembly offering was directed toward raising up 35 new leaders through leading Together. Over $15,o00 was raised, and 301 individuals participated.
- After lunch, attendees participated in a Learning Event featuring ten different workshops to choose from.
- Between the two workshop sessions, everyone gathered in the main assembly hall for a panel discussion entitled “embRACE: The Bishop’s Conversation.” Regina Seabrook was the panel facilitator. Panelists included Rev. Gladys Moore, Rev. Chad Johnson, Rev. Samuel Wolff, and Carrie Schiltz.
- Saturday concluded with “The Church’s Journey in Art and Song” which was a contemplative worship service featuring videos and art from across the centuries.
Sunday, May 7 highlights:
- Sunday morning worship was led by Bishop Steven Delzer, Rev. Grace Gravelle, and Synodically Authorized Minister Simon Choat.
- Rev. Dr. Eric Barreto led a Bible study on the book of Acts.
- Rev. Dr. Stephen Bouman shared a message from churchwide.
- Bishop Delzer shared his annual Report to the Assembly highlighting the ways he has witnessed the people of the synod developing leaders, equipping congregations, and accompanying global partners over the past year.
- The 2018 budget was passed.
- Elections took place for a variety of synod committees.
- All four resolutions were passed.
The four resolutions passed at the assembly included:
- Resolution 2017-1: Minimum Compensation and Benefits Guidelines
- Resolution 2017-2: From the Blue Earth River Conference Regarding the Use of “Mission Support” in Place of “Benevolence”
- Resolution 2017-3: Support for Palestinians: A Way to a Just Settlement
- Resolution 2017-4: A Proposal to Amend the Model Constitution for Congregations of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
Next year’s assembly will be held at the Verizon Center in Mankato the first weekend in May. The determination of whether it will be Friday-Saturday or Saturday-Sunday will be based on this year’s feedback. The theme of the 2018 assembly will be “Accompanying our Global Partners” and we will have guests from Tanzania, Colombia, and South Sudan!
The full text of all the resolutions, photo albums, video of the speakers and sermons, and additional assembly resources are all available on our website. Visit http://semnsynod.org. and click the “Archived Event Resources” button on the lower left.
A special thanks to all who participated in the 2017 Southeastern Minnesota Synod Assembly. Please share these highlights in your context.