Global Mission: Building Colombian Partnerships
Global Mission/Companion Synods leaders from the Southeastern Minnesota Synod, the South Carolina Synod, the churchwide organization, and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Colombia (IELCO) gathered Feb. 2-4 in Minnesota to discuss partnerships between the ELCA and IELCO. Some potential areas of strengthening partnerships were:
- Infrastructure – Explore funding to renovate IELCO congregation to meet government standards.
- Advocacy – Learn and raise awareness about difficulties facing Christians in Colombia.
- Communication – develop new ways of staying in touch (e.g. website, Facebook, Listserv, etc.)
- Visits – Provide opportunities to become advocates through visits between the U.S. and Colombia
CYF Ministry: A Resource for Research
The Barna Group a “leading research organization focused on the intersection of faith and culture” is a great resource for congregations to hear and learn what is happening with faith in the 21st century. The information gathered and reported can inform the decisions of congregations as they listen, learn, and distill the Barna Group research. A January 2012 report titled, “What People Experience in Church” asked “What happens, if anything, in the hearts and minds of those who attend church?” The results provide a lens which may guide and impact a church’s ministry vision and planning. A free e-newsletter, online reports, and a variety of resources are available on topics related to: faith & spirituality, culture, family & kids, teens & next gen, leadership, congregations, and organic church.
To learn more, go to www.barna.org.
Hunger Task Force: Presenters Available
Need a Temple Talk or Adult Forum on the ELCA Malaria Campaign? Contact a members of the Synod Hunger Task Force to request a date and speaker:
- Rev. Clark Cary, 507-663-0007, email@example.com
- Scott Carpenter, 507-424-1713, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sheri French, 507-358-9003, email@example.com
- Rev. Al Girtz, 507-388-4022, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jan Lochner, 507-498-3344, email@example.com
- Rev. Lynne Rigg, 651-388-6730, Lriggo2@aol.com
- Kathy Tanabe, 507-269-2380, firstname.lastname@example.org
Materials for your congregation are available online at www.ELCA.org/malaria or call 800-638-3522. For more information call Rev. Clark Cary at 507-663-0007.
Lutheran Campus Ministry: Spring Activities
Wonderful things are beginning to bloom this spring at Crossroads in Mankato! Our students are excited to visit with you at the Synod Assembly, to gather together with other student ministries on campus for the recent WorshipBand Fest, and to participate in our Week of Work – an at-home mission project designed by student leaders to give back to those in the synod who have supported Crossroads.
- WorshipBand Fest, April 28, 7:00 p.m.
- Synod Assembly, May 5, 8:15 a.m.
- Week of Work, May 4-11
If your congregation is looking for a way to get involved in our campus ministry, we urge you to visit our website at crossroadsatmnsu.org.